Correct Behaviour when using the Public Transport System (Buses, Trains etc.)
There are a couple of rules that have to be taken care of, when using the public transport system. Below you can read a few tips as on how to behave correctly:
- Always be in possession of a valid travel ticket! Fare Evasion (without a ticket) does cost you a lot of money in Germany.
- Let other people disembark a bus or a train first, before boarding yourself.
- In case you notice a senior citizen, a pregnant woman, someone with a walking disability or see anyone else who is having a handicap, it is a show of good manners, if you offer them your seat.
- Should you be traveling with children, see to it, that your kids have something to do, so that they are occupied and do not bother other people traveling with you.
- Do not play any loud music.
- If you use your phone, do so in a volume that does not cause any inconvenience for others.
- When leaving your seat at the end of your journey, leave it clean.
- In general: Show respectful and considerate behaviour toward other people traveling with you. Pushing, nudging or even shoving is seen as a lack of manners, even as being rude and considered to be not acceptable.
- Be aware of the white markings on the train platform, they mark the minimum safety distance!